Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Collections

Andrew has this really cool collection of cameras. He's got quite a few. Some are really cool antiques, like this one that we used as a prop in some of our wedding photos:


I am more than okay with his collection. The cameras sit on top of our bookshelves, and they look great displayed that way. He's come home with a few new ones since we've been married, most of which have been old Polaroid cameras. Just a couple of weeks ago he came home with a late 1950s early 1960s Polaroid camera that he got from DI complete with the owner's manual, which had some amazing pictures in it, let me tell you.


I've always kind of wanted my own really cool collections, but I never really knew what I wanted to collect. A while ago, I mentioned in passing to Andrew that I've always wanted a typewriter. Before Christmas, he asked me if I was serious about that. I instantly said yes. I didn't know if he would be able to find what I wanted, but of course he did. Because he's amazing like that. He ended up getting me a 1930s Royal typewriter that is so cool. Little did he know that he created a monster.

Last weekend, Andrew and I wandered around downtown Salt Lake looking for antiques stores. We found one called Jitterbug Antiques, and sitting outside the doors were two typewriters in their cases. Of course, I had to look at them both before we even went inside the store. I was able to pull myself away, mostly because it made me excited to see what was actually inside. There was one more typewriter set up inside, and I just fell in love with it. It had this amazing leather case that was in great condition, considering it was from the 1940s. So we bought it. And I still just love it.

The green one is the one Andrew gave me for Christmas. The black one is the new addition.
We also found this incredible 1887, four-volume edition of Les Misérables at a little rare books store we found. Andrew and I both absolutely love books, especially pretty books, so it was a little dangerous for us to go in the store to begin with. But I am so glad we did. These are by far the coolest books that we own, and it's given me the itch to find even more. Oi vey.

But I am so excited to have a little collection of my own. I can't say that I think the typewriter collection will grow a ton more. It's hard to collect a lot of typewriters; I mean, where would I keep even five of them? The antique books collection, on the other hand, could grow a lot more, especially since Andrew and I would both be contributing to it. I can't wait until we have a house and the room to really display the cameras, typewriters, and books to do them justice. 

No comments: