Friday, June 21, 2013

Guster, Ben Folds Five, and Barenaked Ladies

Last night Andrew and I had a fun date night with my siblings and their spouses. Well, all but one of their spouses. My brother-in-law refused to join us because of his virulent hatred of BNL, but the rest of us were there. It was fun to have a little get together with all the siblings; we don't get to do that very often, and I definitely think we should make it a regular thing.



We went to the Guster, Ben Folds Five, and BNL concert, and it was so much fun. This concert was a little different for me because I usually go to a concert for the headliner and the headliner alone. This time, I knew both opening bands as well as the headliner, which was pretty awesome.

The night opened with some really weird guy whose name was Boothby . . . something-or-other. He was singing about kittens in bags and baseball-playing spiders, and it was just odd. But after that, the night got considerably better, because Guster came on.


Guster was arguably the best part of the night. Our seats happened to be right behind a group of guys who were diehard Guster fans and new every lyric of every song. I was a little sad I wasn't to that level, since I only know two of their albums. But the songs I knew were incredible, and I thoroughly enjoyed the songs I didn't know. Guster was so awesome live. They were funny and sounded awesome. They even played a little side show near their merch table between Ben Folds Five and BNL. I now want to buy the rest of Guster's albums and see a show that they headline. 

Ben Folds Five was up next, and while they sounded amazing live, they didn't play many songs that I know. I think there were only two that I could actually sing along with. 


I spent most of their set just staring at Ben Folds's hands. I was in awe of his talent; I wish I could play the piano like that. 

The final act of the night was, of course, Barenaked Ladies. 


I know a ton of BNL's music, but they also played a bunch of songs that I either didn't know or didn't like. The best part of their set was "One Week," which had everyone singing along (or attempting to, at least), and "If I Had a Million Dollars." They also did this little medley of current and older radio hits that was pretty dang entertaining. 

All in all, it was a fun night. It was nice to go out and do something fun and get my concert fix.

No comments: