Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Holy Stress, Batman!

Well, I have now been a Health Catalyst employee for a week and a half. It's been pretty good, for the most part, except that I still don't know what my routine will be and what exactly I will be in charge of. I've been told over and over about how I'm supposed to be engaged and involved with the sales team, but how that is going to happen hasn't exactly been made clear. (It's also weird that I'm part of the sales team. Which is nearly all men. That's a definite change for me.)

Which is where the stress comes in. I hate starting new jobs specifically because I hate not knowing what I'm doing. I have such a hard time when I'm completely dependent on other people to tell me what I'm supposed to be doing every minute of every day. Being told to familiarize myself with a website when I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with said website makes things really difficult. At KLAS, I went to work every day knowing exactly what I would be doing. And if I ran out of editing, I knew three other things I could do to fill my time. At Health Catalyst, if I don't have content to edit or a proposal to work on, I'm sitting on my thumbs, trying to find new websites that can entertain me until I get something to work on.

I know this phase will end. I know this is just how it goes at a new job. I'm still trying to figure out what the company does and how I fit in, and I know that I went through this exact same phase at KLAS. I had the same frustrations and stresses when I started there over four years ago, but now all I can think about is how much I miss the familiarity.

Unfortunately, knowing that I will become familiar with Health Catalyst doesn't make the process of getting there any easier. It's been a stressful week and a half. Just ask Andrew about the (at least) three times I've broken down into tears at the prospect of going to work the next day. (To be fair, I warned him before I started that I would be a wreck for the first, oh, month or so.) I'm so thankful that Andrew's been so understanding. It is definitely nice to have such a supportive husband to come home to every night. I love him a ridiculous amount.

The good thing is that I think I'll like it at Health Catalyst. Eventually. The people have been super welcoming and nice, and the kitchen is fully stocked with candy, granola bars, caffeine, and other goodies. It's a great perk, especially when I forget a lunch and don't have to go out and spend money. However, it is terrible for my calorie counting. I have to exercise some serious restraint.

Speaking of calorie counting, they also gave me a FitBit, which is pretty cool. It tracks my steps, how many floors I've climbed, and how well I sleep. I've looked into getting one before, but I didn't want to spend the money, and now I don't have to! Woot! Even though I have been appalled at just how few steps I take some days.

Anyway, this is a long post that doesn't say much other than that I'm trying to get my feet under me. And on the days that I'm extra stressed and don't know what I'm doing, I just remind myself that this job is where I need to be right now. I know I was supposed to take this position because everything worked out too well for it not to be right. And I also know that in time, I will become as comfortable here as I was at KLAS. I just have to stick it out and take my time. Everything will work out great. Especially once we move and I no longer have this frigging nasty commute. (It's seriously awful. Rush-hour traffic is devil spawn.)

And because I worry that my text-only posts are super boring, here's a picture of my new work space. Because that's not boring at all, right?

No comments: