Monday, March 9, 2015

The Books of 2014

For 2014, my goal was to read 50 books, and I ended up with 52, which was fun. I'm trying to up the amount of books I read every year; I used to feel really good about reading 30 books in a year, then I made friends who read over 100 books a year. Which makes me feel a bit like a disappointment. But I do enjoy most of the books I read, and sometimes I have other hobbies that take up more of my time, so I'm trying not to feel too bad about that.

I think my favorite new discovery this year was the Lunar Chronicles series. It's a sci-fi take on classic fairy tales, and it is incredibly well written. Not to mention that each new book in the series features a strong, intelligent female character whose life isn't all about finding the right man, which I love. This world needs more of that. The only downside from finding this series was that I didn't know it was a series when I picked up Cinder, and the final installment doesn't come out until November of 2015. It's heartbreaking, really.

I also did quite a bit of rereading, which is one quirk I have. I love rereading books, especially when a new book in the series is coming out and I don't remember all the details of the previous books. And sometimes I just want to reread a book or a series because I love it so much. I think 2015 might continue some of that trend; I have quite a few series that I haven't read in four or five years, and I'm started to get the itch to read them again.

And now, on to my list!
  1. The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel
  2. Champion (Legend #3) by Marie Lue
  3. Austenland by Shannon Hale
  4. Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson
  5. Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
  6. The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman
  7. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
  8. Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth
  9. Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer
  10. Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer
  11. The House of the Scorpion (Matteo Alacran #1) by Nancy Farmer
  12. The Lord of Opium (Matteo Alacran #2) by Nancy Farmer
  13. The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football by Jeff Benedict
  14. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  15. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
  16. The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner #2) by James Dashner
  17. The Death Cure (Maze Runner #3) by James Dashner
  18. Partials (Partials Sequence #1) by Dan Wells
  19. Fragments (Partials Sequence #2) by Dan Wells
  20. Ruins (Partials Sequence #3) by Dan Wells
  21. The Wide, Wide Sea (Chaos Walking #2.5) by Patrick Ness
  22. Snowscape (Chaos Walking #3.5) by Patrick Ness
  23. George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl
  24. Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl
  25. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
  26. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl
  27. Matilda by Roald Dahl
  28. The BFG by Roald Dahl
  29. The Thief (The Queen's Thief #1) by Megan Whalen Turner
  30. The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief #2) by Megan Whalen Turner
  31. The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief #3) by Megan Whalen Turner
  32. A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief #4) by Megan Whalen Turner
  33. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
  34. Vodnik by Bryce Moore
  35. The Water and the Blood by Nancy E. Turner
  36. This House Is Haunted by John Boyne
  37. The Kill Order (Maze Runner #0.5) by James Dashner
  38. Blackout (Blackout #1) by Robison Wells
  39. The Rent Collector by Camron Wright
  40. Dangerous by Shannon Hale
  41. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  42. Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
  43. Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
  44. Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
  45. Sinner (Wolves of Mercy Falls #4) by Maggie Stiefvater
  46. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins
  47. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins
  48. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
  49. Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
  50. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan
  51. The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2) by Rick Riordan
  52. The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3) by Rick Riordan

No comments: