Wednesday, October 23, 2013

We Chose Each Other


I found this quote on Pinterest, and I love it. It's from The Toughest Indian in the World by Sherman Alexie. I've never read the book, but this stuck out to me.

It reminds me of the advice my mom gave me and Andrew before we got married. At my family bridal shower, my sister made these adorable wood blocks that spell out "Welcome," and she had all the guests write down some advice. My mom wrote, "Always remember that you chose each other." And I think what she means is the same thing Alexie is saying. Andrew and I chose to marry each other, but that wasn't a one-time choice. It's a choice that we have to keep making every single day. We have to choose to remain faithful and choose to live by the covenants we made.

I personally think that one reason the divorce rate is so high is that people forget the choices they made and refuse to make the effort to keep making the same choices day in and day out. Marriage is hard work. It requires effort. A neglected marriage isn't going to last; it needs to be nurtured. Couples need to remember that they chose each other. This is a choice they made and one that they need to continue making.

I'm not trying to say I'm an expert on marriage. Far from it. Andrew and I haven't even been married a year, and I know we haven't exited the honeymoon stage yet. But when the hard times come, I am going to do my best to remember that I chose him. We chose each other. And we have to continue choosing each other every day.

No comments: